Tuesday, September 13, 2011

When It All Fall Apart

Just like the changing of the seasons, it is inevitable that some bands parts ways, some amicably, others not so much. Usually the "band" stays together replacing a guitarist here, a drummer there, and sometimes getting a new lead singer. The displaced members will often start a new band.  I generally don't have too much of a problem with new members (or, as my friend calls them, spin off bands), as long as the band continues to produce quality music. However, I have noticed that many do not have the same opinion.  They have their favorite members and if this person leaves or is replaced they become quite angry, to the point of refusing to listen to the band anymore.
In the case of Taking Back Sunday, who has lost original members, gained new members, lost those and gain the original members back in the end, I don't really mind that much.  I may say "oh, how sad, he was talented" or something of the like, but when it comes down to it, I still love them and their music and will always listen.
In the case of "Spin off" bands I usually end up listening to both. The music is often the same genre and "type" that I like so I might as well listen to both.
There are some cases where, like that of Escape the Fate and Falling in Reverse, where the fan choose sides and the war is on. Personally, I still like both. *Puts on helmet in case rocks are thrown* I like old and new Escape the Fate and Falling in Reverse. The music is good and that's what matters to me.
Old

New

Falling in Reverse
 I refuse to take sides. I was actually leery of taking on this topic as I know that many people do get offended about this type of thing and that is not what this blog is about. It's to appreciate music, share it with others, and hopefully meet some people who share the same taste. But I wanted to see what my lovely readers thought. So here it is:
How do you feel about bands when they replace members, or break up and start new bands?
Peace, Love, Music<3

3 comments:

  1. Cool topic, personally I don't care too much about spin-off bands. I'm also a big fan of both Escape the Fate and Falling in Reverse (so I guess I better find myself a helmet too ;). I like Falling in Reverse a bit better but I think they both have awesome to listen to music.
    Replacing members and getting new ones then going back to the old ones sort of seems tedious and silly but I don't have a big issue with it. It's not the end of the world. As long as their sound doesn't change too much (it's still the sound I love) then I don't mind much.
    -Kelli <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really liking Falling in Reverse so far.
    And we could always start a helmet trend! :p

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still have to check out Falling in Reverse's new album, especially when I told myself that I should. at least the first single was great. still, I think I'll probably be in the same boat as you. ETF was great with and without Ronnie. besides, if the music still sounds good, I'll ay attention and buy.

    the only "spin-off" act I tried out was Fort Minor, only because Mike Shinoda is a tolerable rapper. it turned out to be a slightly less "rock" version of Linkin Park. lol

    ReplyDelete